Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Unwrapping Life

Melissa over at A Familiar Path just happened to notice the time lapses in my posts around here. After close to two weeks had gone by in my last entry she gingerly mentioned that the post was now 'ancient', which in Blog-Time is probably pretty accurate. So this week, I am vowing to do better...unless of course I have to fight my minions away from the laptop to get my fingers on it...if that's the case, I can't promise that I won't just see it as a sign and go take a nap instead. Right now though, I think I have caught a glimmer of motivation, and I will seize it. Thanks Melissa.

...Oh yeah, and I'm going to copy you too.

I present to you my first ever Tuesdays Unwrapped...without the fancy logo, because I could not figure it out, and one can only start off so motivated. Slow and steady, you know.


God has been trying to teach me to focus on the beautiful, small details of life that are so easily swallowed up by The Tyranny of the Urgent...


I read somewhere in the scripture this week (I really need to find that, don't I?) where God's people were in a terribly difficult spot and He essentialy told them to keep doing all the things that make life rich anyway. He was not going to remove them from their less than perfect conditions; He was telling them to LIVE.

Right there.

Where they were.



As weird as it sounds, this surprised me. I have a hard time allowing myself  to experience joy in serious times. I feel guilty about it and often don't know what to make of the juxtaposition of the two.



I'm learning that it is all about keeping you eyes fixed on what is eternal. If I take my eyes off of Jesus to stare at the waves, like Peter, or the destruction and rubble like people of Judah rebuilding the walls to their city in Nehemaih, I will be consumed.

Instead, I am practicing Philipeans 4:8

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."




Considering the fact that I am surrounded, It really shouldn't be as hard as I make it out to be.

Lord, continue to help me unwrap this life.

1 comment:

Melissa Stover said...

i love that verse. it's on my wall. and i'm giggling about the "gingerly mentioned."

i love those jeans on your girl. so cute!